Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Summer Garden Week 7

I didn't get a chance to post about the garden last week (should have posted on May 23rd) but I did take photos, so here's a quick update on how things are looking. . . . . first off, I must add that we finally got around to ordering some 'beneficial nematodes' and we watered them in to the garden last weekend. Hopefully they will do what they are supposed to do, which is eat the nasty larvae of the nasty bugs that keep eating the leaves. They should eat the grubs too that have been feasting on the roots of most of our plants!

We finally spotted our broccoli heads :-) Since this picture was taken we've actually harvested 3 of the plants and ate some broccoli last night (May 31st). I'll have a more recent picture in my next post.

I planted out some butternut squash that I had grown from seed. I had to plant them in the ground despite knowing that they may just all get eaten.

Radishes are just about ready. I probably have too many now and not enough people to share them with (everyone I ask seems to not like them much!) so I don't know what I'll do with them all.

The blackberry bush is full of red berries . . . .

I'm hoping they all turn black at once so I can try to make a little pie!

but this little guy was ahead of all the rest, so he ended up in my mouth!!!

Pumpkins are going to make it I think. Those nasty cucumber beetles are still trying to eat up the leaves but the pumpkins are not giving up without a fight.

A cucumber plant finally trying to make it too.

I will be back later today or tomorrow with week 8 photos :-)


3 comments:

Judy said...

Denise - I love sharing your adventures in gardening with you! It must be exciting to check on from day to day, just to see what's growing. Love it! Sending you big hugs!

Vintage Linen Treasures said...

I didn't have ANY luck with my broccoli at all. They're still out there, though. Just leave. BUT my summer squash has gone crazy. I can't harvest them fast enough and then they get huge! I live in San Antonio, so we pretty much get to share the same weather. We have rock (caliche) instead of soil. Do you have real dirt up there in Austin? (I never thought I would ever be jealous of people who have real dirt. But I am! ha ha ha)
Patricia :o)

Honeycombs said...

So what's happening in the garden sis - can't see any week 8 photos!!!! did the pumpkins make it???